Plum Frangipan with Plum Compote
Rare Recipe from Kelvin Parry, Peterstone Court
Peterstone Court has its own farm - Glaisfer Uchaf - supplying 90 per cent of the hotel’s free-range meat and poultry. While a network of outstanding local suppliers keep the kitchen stocked with a wide range of tasty ingredients.
Plum Frangipan with Plum Compote (serves 6)
INGREDIENTS - SWEET PASTRY
- 375g of plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 15g of caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 1 free range egg
- 4 tbsp ice-cold water
METHOD - SWEET PASTRY
- For the pastry, sieve the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Tip the cubed butter into the bowl. Rub the butter and the flour between your thumb and fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a jug or small bowl, beat the egg together with four tablespoons of ice-cold water. Pour into the flour mixture.
- Slowly bring the ingredients together with your hands to form a dough, being careful not to overwork it.
- Knead the dough lightly on a clean, floured work surface, then wrap it in cling film and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS - FRANGIPANE
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 200g ground almonds
For the tart filling
5-6 ripe plums each cut into eighths, stones removedc
INGREDIENTS - TART FILLING
- 5-6 ripe plums each cut into eighths, stones removed
METHOD - FRANGIPANE
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Crack the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the ground almonds and mix well until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Dust the work surface with flour and roll the chilled dough out thinly. Use it to line one large 25cm/10in tart ring or 6-8 individual tartlet rings 8cm/3¼in in diameter. Trim away any excess.
- Spoon the frangipane into the tart case so that it comes about halfway up the sides. Smooth over the surface with a spatula and cover the frangipane evenly with the plums.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (15-25 minutes for the tartlets), or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown and the fruit is tender.
INGREDIENTS - PLUM COMPOTE
- 6 plums (diced)
- 100g sugar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
METHOD - PLUM COMPOTE
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the plums are soft.
- Remove the tart(s) from the oven. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm vanilla ice cream.
- Our chef tops it with spun sugar for a fab effect.