Gluten Free Mince Pie
Here's a gluten free Mince Pie recipe for you to try at St George's Hotel Llandudno or at home - "The best Mince Pies you’ll ever taste topped with a delicious creamy topping that perfectly complements the crisp pastry and sweet centre".
Gluten Free Mince Pies with a Creamy Orange and Vanilla Topping
- 330g organic gluten free mincemeat
- Sweetened short crust pastry made with Gluten Free Flour
- 300g full fat cream cheese
- 2 oranges
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 25g dried cranberries
- 25g dried apricots
- 50g flaked almonds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- Milk to loosen
- Preheat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas 8.
- Take a greased 12-hole deep muffin tin
- Roll the pastry to 3mm thick then zest one of the oranges over half the pastry. Fold the other half of the pastry over the top then press down lightly.
- Roll the pastry to 3mm thick then stamp out rounds 2cm larger than the holes of the bun tin. Press each disc gently into the bun tin.
- Mix the mincemeat with 25g of the flaked almonds, then add the cranberries, apricots chopped ginger, spices and zest of the second orange, then mix thoroughly.
- Place spoonfuls of mincemeat into each pastry disc, filling to about 2/3 full.
- Beat the egg and milk and brush over the base.
- Place a second pastry disk on top, press down slightly, cut two small slits in the lid and brush with the egg wash mix.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
- Whisk the cream cheese, 3 tbsp of orange juice, vanilla extract and the icing sugar together until smooth and creamy. Taste to check for sweetness, adding more orange juice and sugar if necessary.
- Place a spoonful of the cream cheese mix on top of the cooked mince pie then scatter over the flaked almonds.